Facebook can be a nice way to connect with people, but it is also full of incredibly vacuous items.
There are posts that say, “If you don’t ‘Like’ this photo, this puppy will die.” See ya, Fido, hope you had a nice life. Or I will get invited to play some goofy game like “The Wizards of the Flying Bedpans” Um, no. There is a big craze on Facebook right now to post 30 days of thankfulness. So naturally, the cynic in me resisted the idea. Not that I’m not thankful for things, I am. I’m just not going to remember to post for 30 days in a row!
So here is Jerry Godsey’s list of things he is thankful for.
- I am thankful for my wife. We have been married for 32 years and still haven’t killed each other. Not that we haven’t thought about it, but we never completed our plots. Seriously though, we have a great life together, and she truly is my best friend. I can’t ask for more than that.
- I am thankful for my sons. I am sure I wasn’t an easy dad to have, and somehow they survived. Not only that, I have watched them grow into young men that of whom I am very proud. Like their dad, they are far from perfect, but they are men I am proud to have carry the Godsey name.
- I am thankful for being able to co-pastor an incredible church with two of the best guys ever. Jeremiah Vik, Frank Garcia and I probably shouldn’t be allowed to have as much fun as we do, but Remnant allows us the freedom to be who God made us, not who they expect us to be. This church has spoiled me for pastoring a “normal” church ever again.
- I am thankful for the guy at work who was so ugly to me that he pushed me to have an exit strategy from the Sheriff’s Office. Because of his actions I decided to complete my Bachelors degree, then my Masters. Now I am teaching at University of Phoenix and have career options I have never had before. It is a classic case of Genesis 50:20 coming into play, “You meant it for evil, but God has used it for my good.”
- I am thankful for my dogs. Not the Arsenio Hall kind of dogs, but my real dogs. My Boston Terriers are the coolest dogs ever. I have even gained an appreciation for our froo froo Pomeranian, Riley. I still won’t walk her on the leash, though, because the picture of a guy my size walking a little ball of blonde fur just isn’t anything anybody wants to see.
- I am thankful for my job. Sure it gets stressful from time to time, but that’s how you know you are doing important work. It sounds corny, but I am proud of the fact that I am in a position to help others and get paid to do it.
- I am thankful for NFL Sunday Ticket which allows me to watch my beloved Bears every week.
- I am thankful for computers because I am a geek, and enjoy that stuff.
- I am thankful for the late Steve Jobs and Apple. Without them I would still be stuck trying to figure out Windows’ horrible home networking scheme instead of just plugging in my Mac stuff and having it all work.
- And yes, I am still thankful for cheese… (if you don’t understand that one, go to http://www.jerrygodsey.com/thankful-for-cheese/)
So what are you thankful for? You can post it on Facebook, but the best idea is to tell it to the people you love. Make somebody’s day and tell them how thankful you are for their encouragement or friendship or something. If nothing else, tell ‘em you’re thankful for cheese…
A truly blessed guy… Jerry